There are plenty of opportunities to get your work out there from writing competitions to online publishing — everyone starts somewhere.
Re-Draft — where publication is the prize
Get your talent recognised in a book that will be read all over New Zealand — enter the annual Re-Draft competition.
Online literary journal, Starling, is looking for young writers to publish and you could be one of them.
Great work by young writers to give you inspiration:
- Hagley Writers' Institute
- Programme to help aspiring writers prepare their work for publication. Based at Hagley High School.
- New Zealand Post National Schools Writing Festival
- The Writing Festival is a free event for students interested in writing fiction, poetry and scripts for theatre, film and television. The weekend features two half-day small group creative writing workshops and seminars featuring some of New Zealand’s leading writers. The Festival is held in conjunction with the New Zealand Post National Schools Poetry Awards.
- School for Young Writers
- Where, when, how much and who's involved. The answers are all here. See also our information.
- Advice for Writers from Holly Lisle
- Heaps of advice for writers, written as FAQs, articles and workshops.
- BBC Blast - Writing
- BBC site with heaps of great tips and tools, a writer's room, a poetry tool and information about copyright and contracts. Good for reference.
- BBC Writersroom
- Tips and tools for writers, learn about getting published, writer interviews and links to other great writing sites
- Book Divas
- It's been called the teen equivalent to Oprah's Choice. This is your opportunity to sign up and become an opinionated Book Diva!
- Every Poet
- An abundance of poetry resources and a chance to share your own writings
- Fan Fiction
- Both for stuff to read and for getting published: fan fiction is when fans write new stories about their favourite characters from movies, comics and other books etc.
- Merlyn's Pen
- Brilliant poems etc from other teens here plus a chance to get your own edited & published on site.
- New Zealand Book Council
- information about NZ authors as well as the NZ Book Trade Directory, information about the Book Council and its events, awards, grants and festivals. Section on How to get published
- Poetry Wiki
- Express yourself freely in words and find new ways to do it. Create a log-in and once you're accepted you can contribute to this poetry wiki for teens.
- A list of New Zealand publishers' websites.
- Submit reviews and creative work and get published on this Australian high-school oriented site.
- Online literary journal featuring prose and poetry by New Zealanders under 25 years of age. Accepts submissions.
- Teen Ink
- Written by teens for teens. Submit your own pieces of creativity whether it's fiction, non-fiction, poetry, reviews, artwork or photographs.
- Teen Lit
- A place where you can discuss your own writing, place reviews and talk about books you're reading plus more!
- The Poetry Society
- British site with information on competitions, poetry landmarks and links to other poetry sites
- Whitireia Polytechnic writing courses
- Writing and publishing courses for creative writers and journalises. Certificate, Diploma and Bachelor level study.
Choose Writer from the drop-down list.
- New Zealand run site for freelance writers and market place for work.
- Writing and Illustrating for Children
- New Zealand publishers' requirements and addresses.