"Why bother trying to break into Oz when you might as well go straight to Japan and make it big?"
This group of Year 11s told me that when they get up on stage they're pretty laid back and kind of quiet which I found kind of hard to believe because this interview blasted along - just like their music …
- How long have you been playing together as a band
- About 5 months. We only got serious at the beginning of last term and it’s the first time any of us have been in a band and just to add to the confusion, Anthony used to be on guitar but swapped with David. None of us come from a real serious musical background (pause) although my cousin’s Anika Moa …
- How would you describe your music
- Heavy rock and metal. Stuff that makes a noise.
- Where did the name Spectre come from
- It was just a random name on the back of a folder and we thought it'd do for now. It took us a while to decide and we're still not happy with it but we had to have a name for the Rockquest entry.
- How're you feeling about the Rockquest heats
- We're all kind of too nervous to really pay attention although we reckon it’s going to be easier playing in front of an anonymous crowd rather that in front of your own school. Jamie tried to hide behind the curtain at our very first performance - but that might have been because we had no vocals back then. We usually follow the drum beat but that got screwed up so we basically ended up doing an improvo on stage. Hopefully, it gets better. Like our first performance was a bit of a disaster.
- What’s your entry song called
- It’s not. We've got the music but no lyrics as yet but that’s okay. The vocals usually come easy although we tend to disagree - only a lot.
- Who writes the music
- David. It gets played on guitar and then we get the drum beat followed up by the bass line. We all get together for the vocals.
- Do you practise very often
- It’s a bit difficult to organise so we only get together once or twice a week. It'd be great if we had our own drum kit because it'd mean we could practise somewhere else apart from school. It’s kinda hard, y'know, getting on and off the bus with ya bass in tow along with everything else.
- Other bands who've influenced you
- Ones who're still alive
Slipknot, AC/DC, Metallica
Mostly heavy rock and metal
- Favourite album of all time
- Master of Puppets/Metallica
of a Down/Toxicity
- What do you think of NZ music at the moment
- There’s plenty of good bands out
there it’s just that you don't hear anything of them
although things seem to be getting better so far
as competitions and air-time goes. NZ music is kinda
average though - there’s a lot of pop out there.
- And for the future
- We want to stick together as a
band and all of us want to be involved in music in
some way or another … but realistically we're also
looking at 3D Design and maybe something to do with
- Ultimate dream
- Gig tours around NZ
… yeah, kinda like an OE thrown
in for free …