Financing your study: grants, loans, allowances and scholarships
Studying costs money — for books and equipment or simply the basic necessities of life.
This page has links to lots of web resources to help you get your money sorted and let you focus on the important stuff.
- Search for New Zealand awards, scholarships and grants for individuals.
Access this with your library card number and password / PIN, or at our libraries.
- Creative NZ
- Funding available plus free guides on the practical stuff behind the arts - like how to go on tour without losing money
- IRD Student Loans Information
- Repaying your loan
- Māori Education Trust
- Includes details of scholarships
- The Mint
- An American based site but is right-on with financial advice, facts and figures specifically for teens
- Sorted Students
- Use this site to get your money issues sorted
- Study Link
- Find out about student loans, allowances and community wages and apply for loans online. A service of the Ministry of Social Development and is responsible for Student Allowances, Student Loans and Unemployment Benefit Student Hardship.
Colleges of Education
- Auckland College of Education
- Enrolling in the faculty of Education at University of Auckland makes you eligible for not only TeachNZ scholarships but Faculty of Education scholarships and awards and scholarships offered through the University of Auckland.
- Christchurch College of Education, University of Canterbury
- There is a noticeboard for College of Education scholarships with links to other education scholarships offered through College of Education, University of Canterbury and other external scholarships.
- Dunedin College of Education
- Links to TeachNZ scholarships and scholarships and awards offered specifically through the Dunedin College of Education.
- Massey University College of Education
- Search for scholarships, prizes, student exchange study awards and Massey University scholarships.
- University of Waikato - School of Education
- There is a link to a monthly scholarship update on the main University of Waikato website as well as other scholarships offered outside of the University.
Polytechnics and Institutes of Technology
- Aoraki Polytechnic Scholarships
- Aoraki Polytechnic offers each South Island school three scholarships per year to award deserving students but includes external scholarships and special circumstances grants and scholarships. To find the information you need to type scholarships into the search box on their website.
- Bay of Plenty Polytechnic
- Includes general scholarships, programme specific, open to secondary school students, open to Māori students, and IT related.
- CPIT - Christchurch Polytechnic Institute of Technology
- Has over 80 scholarships and prizes on offer most of which are only for CPIT students and includes an email address specifically for any scholarship questions.
- Eastern Institute of Technology
- A number of scholarships largely programme based but also offers a Year 13 study grant for to every Hawke’s Bay Year 13 secondary school graduate.
- Manukau Institute of Technology
- Offers hardship and financial assistance grants as well as a booklet you can download on grants and scholarships awarded by community organisations, government departments and businesses.
- Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology
- Offers scholarships that apply to specific programmes but also have grants to assist student on the basis of hardship or equity, includes half a degree for free, NMIT and national scholarships and employment scholarships.
- North Tec
- Information on scholarships and grants is also available by phone on 0800 808 856 extn 8893.
- Open Polytechnic of New Zealand
- Links to a number of scholarships to help overcome financial hurdles although there are some scholarships awarded for performance.
- Otago Polytechnic
- Scholarships are posted towards the end of the academic year for the following year, but there are links to external scholarships including Breakout.
- Southern Institute of Technology
- Believe it or not even with the zero fees scheme there is still a number of scholarships on offer including general, Maori and Pacific scholarships, scholarships for women, nursing scholarships and scholarships for the hearing impaired.
- Tai Poutini Polytechnic
- General student awards are available to full-time students, as well as a handful of other awards and scholarships. Applications close on 10 March of each year.
- Tairawhiti Polytechnic
- This has a link to the full scholarship range as well as links to a selected range of scholarships including a number of Maori scholarships and Study Link scholarships.
- Telford Rural Polytechnic
- Information about scholarships and bursaries plus course and accommodation costs.
- UCOL (Universal College of Learning)
- Has people you can contact for scholarship information in specific geographic areas as well as general scholarship information, Maori and Pacific Island scholarships, nursing scholarships.
- Unitec Institute of Technology
- A number of study awards to apply for that according to the site "could take $2000 off your student fees". Also includes Postgraduate scholarships and support through the Wahi Ake Mentoring Programme.
- Waiariki Institute of Technology
- Lists some of the most popular scholarships available both through Waiariki and various organisations including "Free fees for school leavers". Advises applying early to increase chances of success.
- Waikato Institute of Technology (Wintec)
- Includes tips for applying for scholarships to help ensure success as well as a downloadable flyer. Scholarships are listed by programme and also by categories such as general, age, disability, ethnicity, gender, hardship, international and research.
- Wellington Institute of Technology (Weltec)
- Has information on various scholarships available as well as scholarship guidelines and contact information for the scholarship officer at Weltec.
- Whitireia Community Polytechnic
- Offers a number of scholarships. Most are for those that are currently studying at Whitireia but there is a secondary school leaver fees scholarship in the Northern Wellington, Porirua Basin and Kaptiti Coast area.
- Auckland University of Technology
- A website that has links to specific scholarships for AUT students but also lists other scholarship information.
- Lincoln University
- Includes a scholarship database for "scholarships provided, promoted or administered specifically by Lincoln University".
- Massey University
- A website devoted to scholarships with a database that can be searched by keyword - by faculty or course, such as commerce, marketing, agriculture.
- University of Auckland Scholarships
- Has a link to a booklet that has entry-level/first year scholarships that include general and faculty specific scholarships.
- University of Canterbury scholarship office
- Introduction to the Scholarship office and how they can help with links to lists of scholarships and awards as well as other scholarship information.
- University of Otago
- Includes a scholarship database searchable by keyword and department. Also has links to further scholarship information and scholarship information for International students.
- University of Waikato
- Waikato say they offer more scholarship opportunities than any other university, including scholarships relating to particular subjects or degrees, adult learner scholarships, sports and arts-related scholarships.
- Victoria University of Wellington
- Scholarship database but there is also access to a scholarship noticeboard for the latest offerings and links to more information.
- Ministry of Culture and Heritage Funding
- Connects you to a funding link which allows you to query search for scholarships and awards or you can do a keyword search using scholarships as the keyword. For cultural studies for example film, design, literature and broadcasting.
- Ministry of Education scholarships
- Links to a range of scholarships for students wishing to study in the tertiary sector. The website has helpful summary on each link.
- Outward Bound Community Scholarships
- Some scholarships are available for Outward Bound Courses through local organisations. Explore personal development, cultural identity and cultural diversity with the goal of achieving your dreams.
- Scholarships at Kiwi Careers
- A comprehensive site to many scholarship opportunities from this careers site.
- Teach NZ
- For anyone interested in becoming a teacher this is a good place to start.