Summertime Sounds Competition
This competition has now closed and the winners have been announced:
- Original theme song 15-18 years - Matthew P with Divergent inspired by Divergent
- Original theme song 11-14 years - Izzy C and Sarah H with More Than This inspired by The Giver
- Playlist 15-18 years - Grace C playlist for Princess Academy
- Playlist 11-14 years - Sara D playlist for Clockwork Angel
Congratulations to all of our winners. Listen to some of the entries on our blog.
About the competition
Have you ever thought that the song you’ve just heard goes perfectly with the book you’re reading? Would you like to compose your own theme song to your favourite Young Adult novel?
Our Soundtrack to Summer competition gave you the chance to do just that and win some great prizes at the same time. There were two competitions that you could enter:
- Compose a theme song for a Young Adult novel of your choice. Include a description of your theme song, referring to character, plot or setting.
- Create a playlist (of a minimum of 5 songs) for a Young Adult novel of your choice. Describe why you chose those songs, referring to character, plot or setting. You could use one of our library music eResources to search for songs, including Freegal, Naxos Music Library and American Song.
There were two age group categories: 11-14 years and 15-18 years. The winners in each category received a Westfield Riccarton voucher. You could enter one or both of the competitions.
The competition ran from 22 December until 28 February and entries could be submitted online.
On Wednesday 21 January, from 10am-3pm at New Brighton Library we held a free holiday programme to support this competition. Teens learnt about creating playlists to match books, using GarageBand to create their own music and found out what it takes to create their own music.
Terms and conditions
- You must be aged between 11-18 years and a member of Christchurch City Libraries. We may request proof of membership and your age.
- You must supply all required contact details.
- Entries for the ‘Compose a theme song’ competition must be your own work. By submitting your entry you agree that you are the creator of the work.
- If you are a winner you agree to be interviewed and photographed for The Pulse website and consent to your name, photograph, image and/or interview being used for reasonable publicity purposes by Christchurch City Libraries.
- The competition closes 5pm Saturday 28 February. Email your entry to email@example.com. Winners will be notified by Tuesday 10 March.
- The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into and prizes are not transferable.